Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lunch With A Side Of GNOME

Sometimes your plans for the day are altered greatly because of external circumstances. Nomachine released the latest NX 4 preview last night. We have been very anxious for this technology in order to deploy iPad/tablets, so this was my primary project for today. Prior releases inched closer to our goals, but were *far* too slow to do any beta testing. VNC testing over EVDO was painful as well. At this time no native client is offered for the iPad, instead it works by just using the Safari browser and then connecting to a web server. X is started inside the browser and your desktop appears. Performance on Firefox/Linux/Wired is very snappy and fast. Safari/iPad/WiFi works fairly well as does Safari/iPad/EVDO. So for the first time ever, I was able to take an iPad to lunch with me and log into our new GNOME server. I present, lunch with a side of GNOME:




Lots of issues remain, but it's wonderful that we have progressed this far. Back to testing.

5 comments:

Kenny Armstrong said...

I have to ask, how did you get an X session to run in a browser, I didn't know you could do that.

Dave Richards said...

@Kenny: I'm not sure how they did it, but it works. Once you install their software (easy), you log into a URL and authenticate and X starts. I'll better understand the technology as I start poking around through the directories and settings.

Dave Richards said...

But let me add that I'm sure the X is running on the computer server itself, and you are only getting pixel changes similar to how VNC works. The difference is you don't have any client software except for a browser.

Mikey Cooper said...

False advertising. I see no lunch in this picture.

JW said...

Dave,

That's awesome! Glad the code is starting to get where you want it and working out in public.

/JW